AHRC Research Associate in Biblical and Rabbinic Hebrew
2005 – MA, Faculty of Humanities. MA dissertation: Morphology of the Aramaic Dialect of the Palestinian Talmud According to Genizah Fragments.
2013 – PhD, Faculty of Humanities. PhD dissertation: Greek and Latin Loanwords in the Mishnah: Lexicon and Phonology.
Subject groups/Research projects
- Rabbinic Hebrew
- Biblical Hebrew and its vocalisation systems
- Jewish Aramaic
Other Professional Activities
Convenor of the Rabbinic Hebrew Workshop, July 2016.
Member of the International Organisation for Targumic Studies.
- Lexicon of the Greek Loanwords in the Mishna (in preparation, an English translation of my PhD dissertation; to be published in Brill’s series SJHC [שי היימנס, המילים השאולות מיוונית ומלטינית במשנה]).
- The Mishnah According to Codex Kaufmann: A Diplomatic Edition (in preperation; AHRC funded project).
- “Non Tiberian Vocalisation Systems” in: Armin Lange and Emmanuel Tov, Textual History of the Bible, Leiden: Brill (in preparation)
- “Babylonian Vocalization” in: S. E. Fassberg and R. Garr (eds.), Handbook of Biblical Hebrew, Winona Lake: Eisenbrauns 2016, pp. 133-145
- “Pretonic Reduction of Vowels in Greek Loanwords and Its Significance” (in Hebrew), Chr. Stadel (ed.) Talshir Jubilee Volume (in print)
- “A Remark on the form of Greek Loanwords in the Targum”, Aramaic Studies 12 (2014), pp. 27-31
- The articles “Palestinian Vocalization”, “Palestino-Tiberian Vocalization” “Greek Loanwords”, “Manuscripts of the Mishna” and “Vocalization of Rabbinic Hebrew” in G. Khan (ed.), The Encyclopedia of Hebrew Language and Linguistics, Brill 2013
- “About the ‘Unreliability’ of the Vocalization of Western Targum-Manuscripts”, Aramaic Studies 9 (2011), pp. 279-289
- “A Note on the Rafeh Sign in the Kaufmann Mishna Codex” (in Hebrew), Leshonenu 69 (2007), pp. 397-398
- “Studies in the Linguistic Tradition of Spanish Jews Before the Expulsion” (Review Article, in Hebrew), Leshonenu La’am 54 (2004), pp. 51-53